Job Title Counsellor
Project: Steps2Recovery Residential & Day Programme – London
Reports to Senior Counsellor
Location North London
Steps2Recovery (S2R) aims to improve the lives of people in the criminal justice system affected by alcohol or drug dependency by providing high quality, abstinence-based treatment options which integrate 12-step recovery programmes and other appropriate therapies, as well as working with other agencies.
Steps2recovery provides supported residential and day care services to support and encourage all those involved to improve the quality of their lives and to fulfil their potential without recourse to alcohol, drugs and re-offending.
Breaking the chain of addiction and re-offending in the community, creating a safer environment for all
Overall Purpose Of The Job
- To work with the Senior Counsellor and other Steps2Recovery staff to deliver and further develop a 12 step residential & day programme for clients with substance misuse and criminal justice issues.
- To ensure the delivery of high quality treatment services to all clients.
- To support the OM&SC to manage client referral to best utilise bed space, residential and day programme availability, ensuring the appropriate mix to provide support and opportunity for clients .
Duties & Responsibilities:
- To carry a caseload of clients and establish and manage the counselling relationship.
- To support the Senior Counsellor in the delivery of the therapeutic programme and fulfilment of case management obligations, taking on specific duties and tasks as required.
- To manage the development of the mentoring programme, supporting the development of training and learning from the project. Contribute to the development of the knowledge and practice of trainee counsellors/volunteers/ peer supporters and other placements through induction, supervision and support.
- To support the Senior Counsellor in the management of referrals, assessments and admissions.
- To prepare and oversee reports for external agencies, client records, ensuring quality standards are maintained and deadlines met.
- To oversee the housing benefit/ & discretionary payment process for clients ensuring the client attends all necessary meetings to maintain funding.
- To supervise urinalysis screening tests and carry out drug and alcohol screening tests according to procedure.
- To attend external appointments with clients including case conferences and court hearings and to act as an advocate when appropriate. To attend planning meetings with the team.
- To oversee discharges, design continuing care plans and provide discharge summaries, to lead on audit management and monitor the day to day operations.
- To oversee the resettlement process and assist clients to explore future employment, training, educational and leisure opportunities and to access housing and accommodation in conjunction with resettlement worker.
- To be on call for emergencies.
- To manage own time effectively to ensure the day-to-day delivery of the treatment programme.
- Be an active member of the counselling team in developing, providing and reviewing treatment plans.
- Deliver therapeutic interventions as required including one to one and group counselling, lectures, workshops, family work and therapeutic contracts.
- To take a proactive role in monitoring and maintaining a safe therapeutic environment.
- To monitor the conduct of clients in reference to project expectations and to confront clients as
- Identify the hazards and evaluate risks to clients; reduce the risks to health and safety in the workplace.
- Identify any risks to community; adhere to the community care standards and Health and safety standards.
- Identify and evaluate risks to clients and the community. Develop appropriate mitigation in conjunction with the S2R senior counsellor and operations team.
- Promote people’s equality, diversity and human rights.
- Promote Steps2Recovery and its services to stakeholders.
- Ensure good record keeping and participate in outcome monitoring or service evaluation exercises.
- To attend staff meetings, supervision groups, away days, forums, training, reunions etc as required.
- To undertake other tasks and duties as may be required from time to time by Steps2Recovery.
- To adhere to all policies and procedures as set out in the Steps2Recovery Staff Handbook.
PERSON SPECIFICATION Counsellor – Steps2Recovery
A minimum of 3 years’ experience of working in a therapeutic environment with clients with substance misuse/ criminal justice issues.
- Thorough understanding of and commitment to working with the 12-step model of treatment.
- Experience of liaising with and maintaining good relationships with external agencies.
- Good communication skills, including preparation of reports and case notes.
- Ability to use a personal computer and be self-administering.
- Relevant qualifications e.g. accredited Diploma in Addiction’s Counselling, UKCP.
- Experience of providing and maintaining a therapeutic programme.
- Experience of client care management from assessment to aftercare.
- Ability to work with administrative staff and systems to ensure funding & housing benefit income
- Experience of upholding policies and procedures.
- Experience of ensuring consistently high standards of service delivering.
- At least 2 years experience of carrying a caseload and of 1-1 counselling and groupwork.
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team and to achieve project objectives.
- Ability to liaise effectively with other agencies.
- Ability to work with people from a variety of backgrounds and cultures and to deliver a service within Steps2Recovery’s Equal Opportunities Policy.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
POST: COUNSELLOR – STEPS2RECOVERY
£25,000 to £28,000 per annum pro rata
16 hours per week – flexibility offered and potential for more hours
10 days a year
Six months from the start of employment.
Any offer of employment is subject to the satisfactory receipt of two references.
Conditions of employment
Any offer of employment is subject to the satisfactory receipt of two references and proof of eligibility to work in the UK. Employees working with clients will also need to have a DBS disclosure (Steps2recovery will pay for this if you have not had one in the last six months).
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.